25 Years of Helping Kids Stand Tall: FOCOS Hospital’s Annual Fundraising Gala Set to Shine at the Ziegfeld Theater
NEW YORK, – September 3, 2023 – FOCOS Hospital for Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery is thrilled to announce its annual fundraising Gala, scheduled to take place at the prestigious Ziegfeld Theater on September 22, 2023. This year’s event, aptly named the “2023 FOCOS Gala: 25 Years of Impact,” holds special significance as it marks our first official in-person gala since the onset of the pandemic in 2020.
The purpose of the 2023 FOCOS Gala is to further our mission of providing access to high-quality, affordable, and specialized orthopedic care to individuals primarily in Ghana and the broader African region, who would otherwise lack such vital treatment. As we celebrate our 25th anniversary, we reflect upon a quarter-century of dedication to advancing state-of-the-art orthopedic care and education and helping countless children and adults worldwide “Stand Tall,” one patient at a time.
Highlights of the 2023 FOCOS Gala:
- 25 Years of Impact: FOCOS Hospital has a remarkable legacy of 25 years of service. Since our inception, we have provided state-of-the-art orthopedic care and education, impacting over 85,000 patients and performing more than 8,000 complex surgeries on patients hailing from over 75 countries.
- Global Collaboration: The success of FOCOS is not only a testament to our dedicated team but also to the 577 volunteer doctors and medical professionals from over 10 countries who have contributed their skills and expertise to our mission.
- Reuniting In-Person: After a challenging period during the pandemic, we are excited to bring our supporters, donors, and well-wishers back together for a memorable evening celebrating our achievements and renewing our commitment to helping those in need.
“Over 80,000 patients seen and about 8,000 surgeries—what FOCOS has done over the last 25 years is nothing short of remarkable. The efforts from our doctors from around the world and the vision from my father to want to help children stand, walk, and even dance, exhibit the depth of humanity that our patients continue to benefit from,” said Kwadwo Boachie-Adjei, Board Chair and son of Dr. Boachie-Adjei. “FOCOS does more than impact, the organization and hospital are life-saving solutions for those that come to us for help.”
In 2012, FOCOS Orthopedic Hospital opened its doors, establishing a world-class hospital facility dedicated to orthopedic care for patients from across the globe. This state-of-the-art hospital facility has been instrumental in expanding our capacity to provide exceptional care and services to a wider range of patients in need.
The 2023 FOCOS Gala promises to be a night filled with inspiration, entertainment, and the opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of individuals who depend on us. We extend our heartfelt gratitude to all our supporters and sponsors who have made our work possible throughout the years.
The FOCOS Gala has recognized the unwavering support of humanitarian figures like Georgina and Michael Bloomberg, Michelle and Martin Cohen, 33 Spine Align, CRANE, Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS), and many other generous contributors.
Special performers scheduled to grace the stage include Brooklyn-based Greg Banks (https://www.instagram.com/gregbanksmusic/) a rising star artist and musician who has established himself as a fixture in the music scene with residencies at prestigious venues such as The Virgin, Hard Rock Hotel, and The Seville and performances at Essence Festival and MetLife Stadium.
An anticipated heartfelt appearance will come from Issa, a young boy from Sierra Leone whose life was forever transformed by spinal surgery at FOCOS Hospital. The 25th-year special will be emceed by media personalities, broadcaster Dara Kennedy (https://daraaaronkennedy.com/) author and host of the Toure Show, Toure (https://www.instagram.com/toureshow/). Both boast international experience and this year marks the first time dual hosts will lead the FOCOS annual fundraiser.
- Date: September 22, 2023, 6p-11p.
- Location: Ziegfeld Theater, New York, NY
- Dinner, Auction, Live performances